Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Story To A Healthy Lifestyle


We all have our reasons for eating healthy and working out. Here is my journey on a healthier lifestyle. It has been 3 years of learning and lots of bumps in the road, but I wouldn't change it for the world. 




March 17, 2009--the day that will forever stick in my head. I put on a green sweatshirt since I obviously didn't want to get pinched--and because it was the only green piece of clothing that still fit me. I went in the bathroom and started getting ready for work. Looked at myself in the mirror and smiled---but on the inside I wasn't smiling. I was deeply depressed and tired of being unhappy with myself; despite all the great things that was going for me. That day I made a commitment to myself. I was going to get healthy and lose weight.




I went to work did a little research and then decided to head to a doctor to get further help. He referred me to a dietitian that was familiar with Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). At that appointment we went over several things about my eating habits, correct eating habits, etc. Left the appointment more confused then when I went in. So I decided I would do this one step at a time. 

First step was to start cooking fresh instead out of boxes. I did tons of research on recipes. I did a ton of research on www.sparkreciepes.com. I gathered recipes that I would enjoy and could be easy to cook for a single person. 

After that step was down solid I added in exercise. At the encouragement of a great friend at work I joined the gym that she went to. I started out in group exercise classes as I felt more comfortable with that then just walking into a gym and figuring things out on my own. I went 5 times days a week, and found a true love for working out. 

Before I knew it was down at least 50 lbs. I just kept going on with my plan that working for me. Eating healthy and working out. Of course, through the course there was bumps and it wasn't ALWAYS easy to make the right decisions, but I had a great support group that totally understood where I was trying to get. 

Once I met my one year anniversary I was down 80 lbs and feeling amazing. At that point I had done a few running races and even entered in a stair competition. Where I had to climb 69 flights of stairs and I did it in 15 minutes; which was only 3 minutes off from the fastest female. I was pretty happy with where I was going. 

So, here I am 3 years later and still enjoying my healthy life. Still eating delicious healthy food and working out. 

I met the love of my life a little over a year ago, and thankfully he is completely understanding of my lifestyle. He also enjoys the way I cook food. He always knows he can count on me to be the one to help him out when he is having a sweet tooth or wants to eat greasy pizza for lunch instead of the delicious veggies I pack for him. 

Throughout my lifestyle I have come to learn that it isn't something that you should feel like you have to give everything up to be healthy...it is just all in moderation. If I'm having a sweet tooth I'll have one cookie instead of the 4 I use to eat. Or if I want chips I'll have 5 instead of 5 handfuls. I don't believe in giving everything up because when you do, when you finally get your hands on that sort of yumminess you binge. 

I also have learned that I don't have to be a slave to the gym. I have found a great program that gets me in and out of the gym in about one hour. It incorporates weights and cardio. When I first started my journey I was spending about 2 hours a day in the gym (and sometimes I was doing two-a-days). Then life got real. I got a boyfriend who demanded more attention and I had to learn a system that would work for my new love and for the love I have for the gym. 

Below are before and after pictures. So you can see where I came from to where I am today. It is always so surreal to look at these pictures, but it also keeps me in check. When I'm having a down day I just look at the pictures and tell myself that I've worked...and I'll continue to do so. 

So, my question to you...Do you have a motivational story that you can share with us? Any great tips that you can give someone who wants to start a healthy lifestyle? 







1 comment:

 
09 10