Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Rustic "String Yarn" Sign





Hey guys!  How is the new year treating all of you lovely people?  Things have been crazy here.  "Then Man" Is getting a new job so we might be moving up to Seattle. We are also looking for a new vehicle for him because a drunk driver totaled his in front of our house a few days before Christmas. Insurance is taking….    f o r E V E R…..

.anywho.

Today I want to share with you all my Rustic Yarn sign I made.  You can follow along on how I made this.  If looking to buy one if you're not that crafty, I do sell them in my store.  Below is a link to the shop.



The List
 
1 8' molding of your liking. (Home Depot)
1 Large Slat board from The Wood Connection
1 Roll or bundle of Yarn. (JoAnns)
3 boxes of Brass "Gold" Screws (Home Depot)
4 Small Flat corner Braces
2 2" Plate mending Plates (Home Depot)
Paint
Wood glue
Sanding tool
Stain
Brushes
Cardstock
Below is your board from the Wood Connection.  You will want to paint that first so that it can dry before you add your wash over it to get the primitive look.  You can paint your's any color.  I wanted my letters to pop out because I used a pale yarn color so I did White.

Once the paint is dry take some brown and a little bit of  black and thin the base out with water.  You want it really runny.  Apply in the cracks and edges.  Then take a towel while still wet and wipe in the middle of each slat like the picture below the "LOVE" template.



Below is a frame "The Man" made out of molding.   We made sure the molding was the same thickness as the slat board.  It either had to be thicker or the same thickness.  If you have a skinny molding piece your board will stick out.  Measure and make the cuts needed to fit around the sign.  A great tutorial that I have found for this can be viewed here.


Once the Frame is made you will want to stain it.  I used 3 different stains and white acrylic paint wash.
Once the frame was dry we attached the corner braces.  CORNERS ONLY AT THIS TIME!


Below is a template I made in Illustrator for the word I was going to put on my sign.  I cut it out on card stock using my Cameo, however, you can use scissors if you don't have a fancy cutting machine. :)


Once its cut you can tape it to your board and take a pencil or pen and mark along the edge about every 1/2 inch.  I gave a rough guess doing this.  I just made a small circle with a pen.  
*** DO NOT TRACE ALL THE WAY AROUND ***
A tracing line will show. 

Once your dots are done you can pull the template and get a drill.  You want to pre-drill your holes since we are screwing in screws.  You don't want any split wood cracks.



Once your holes are drilled you can start screwing in your screws. Make sure to not screw through the wood.  I put a scrap piece under my board just incase because I was working on my dinning room table. :)  Once the screws are done and level with each screw, you can start wrapping your yarn.

What's great about yarn is you don't need to attach it to the screws.  You just wrap a few times and it stays.  There is no wrong way to wrap your yarn.  I just wrapped opposite from the screw I was on and did whatever was necessary to fill in around corners. :) I also bought a pretty thick wool yarn and that helped.



Once the stringing is done you can attach the frame using the mending braces.  Refer back to the back of the frame picture above. *BUY THIS SIGN*




Hope you loved this little tutorial.  It was so much fun making this and i'm so in love with how it turned out.  

Until next time, keep creating, living, and obsessing.



5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love that you used screws instead of nails, it looks so neat! Love the color, too. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it--and the colors are perfect! Pinned to the Pretty Preppy Party board (and thanks for linking up)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this, what a creative unique totally awesome idea! Truly! Saying hello from moonlight and mason jars! :-)
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! I might need one of these in my craft room . . . ;-)

    I'd love to have you share this at my Yarn Fanatic Party! http://philwife.blogspot.com/2015/02/yarn-fanatic-party-22-heartspun-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I love your sign! I had to share it with my readers as a neutral Valentine's Day decor idea. You can see it here: http://www.craftcuts.com/community/home-decor/10-neutral-valentines-day-decor-ideas/

    ReplyDelete

 
09 10