Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Family Spotlight Photo Display Tutorial




Hey Everyone!


BUY THIS SIGN

About a year ago on pinterest I came across this sign that had a grandkids saying on it and had pictures hung from it with clothes pins! (I'm Not sure who made it but I will check if I can find it again to reference it here.)  I thought to myself I need to make that for "More Grammy!"  In our family we call "The Man's" Grandma, "Grammy."  We now call her "More Grammy" because we had a little girl and "The Man's" Mom is now Grammy.  ;)  

...ANYWAYS...

I knew I had to make it for her because she has so many grandkids and great grandkids.  Since her birthday was coming up I had the perfect gift Idea.  What do you get a lady that has everything? You make her something! ;)

If you love the sign but don't know or how to do it  yourself,  I make and sell them in my shop.  Just Click the link below to check it out!

BUY THIS SIGN


The List
  • Burlap Ribbon (Walmart)
  • 2 Eyelet Screws
  • Lighter
  • Small Clothes Pins
  • Floral Decor of your choosing
  • Hemp Twine (Walmart)
  • Wood Plaque (Michael's)
  • Vinyl Black and White (Or colors you choose)
  • Staple gun
  • Hot Glue/Gun
  • Paint 




Step One:
Paint your plaque white and let it dry.  Once dry take some black,white, and brown paint and do a heavy dry brush utilizing different areas with most of it with a grey tint. After it is coated and still wet, take a small paint brush and turn it over using the wood end draw a wood grain pattern on your plaque.  It will give it a rustic fence board look. :)
<------------------------Look for reference!


Step Two:
You will need a Cricut machine or some sort of vinyl cutting machine.  I used my Cricut Expression 2 for this because The font I wanted was already in my "Craft Room Software."  *note* I had added an S at the end of "make" by mistake and it was too late to change it because I had already finished the sign on the day of the birthday party. I had no time left to fix it. So make sure you don't make my grammar error! :)


BUY THIS SIGN





Step Three:
Mark the bottom left and right corners of your plaque by putting a little pressure on your eyelet screw into the wood.  (I used my amazingly good eye balling skills!)  Once you have marked the corners go ahead and screw both of them in place. Use the picture for reference. ------------------------->




*Taking your Hemp Twine knot the rope on each end. Make sure you pull as tight as you can get it so when you hang your pictures they wont sag too much.*





Step Five:
Take your lighter and burn the ends of your knot to give it a cool rustic look. ** Make sure you watch it so it doesn't catch your paint and catch on fire, you just want to burn it enough to give it a candle wick look. **
<--------------------------- Ta-Da!





Now you can hot glue your floral decor or whatever you choose to make your sign stand out.  I bought a set at Michaels using a coupon I had.  It came with a set of six fabric flowers so I made two clusters of 3.  once your hot glue has settled take your clothes pins, However many you decided on and clip them to the twine.
------------------------>


^
|
|
|
Step Seven:
You will need your staple gun and burlap ribbon.  Take your ribbon and cut two equally length pieces.  Take one piece and roll it twice about a half inch each roll.  Staple it facing down at an angle.  ** Very IMPORTANT **  Make sure your ribbon is placed at an angle!  If you staple at a 90 degree angle it will not look right when you go to tie the two pieces together in the middle.  Use the picture above for reference.



Once you've stapled the two pieces of ribbon, bring them to a center and tie a bow.  

There you have it.  A great way to display all those photos you get through out the year in cards and school photos.  There are so many ways you can use this tutorial and tons of sayings you could come up with.  "The Man" Asked me why I never make anything like this for our house. I said to him, "Because we don't have grandkids! DUH!"  He laughed and said, "You have a point!"  -Don't I always?....... (Opps there goes my ego getting in the way again) Hahaha

I plan on making a family one for our house so I will take some photos of it and post them when I get around to making it.  

Please let me know what you think and don't be scared to show me all of the ones you guys create!





Until next time.... Keep creating, living, and obsessing!



Linking Parties






















60 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - and would make a great Christmas gift for my in-laws. Thanks for sharing! I hope you'll link this up at my new link party:
    http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tuesdays-tidbits-2.html

    Thanks! Sarah
    {www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling :) Thanks so much for sharing at Live Laugh Rowe! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be featuring this project later today on Tuesday's Tidbits @ Naptime Delights. Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah
    http://www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This so such a cute idea and so perfect for Grandparents day, Christmas or Birthdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!! Our Great Grammy loved it! It was the perfect gift for someone who has everything! :)

      Delete
  5. Any chance you would want to make another one that I could purchase from you?? That is too freakin cute!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes you can purchase them in my etsy shop. Here is the listing.

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/111300970/grandkids-photo-sign

      You can also select the Etsy tab at the top of the blog to check out what is for sale. :) Thanks again for the Kind words.

      Delete
  6. Could you please send me the PDF for my cricut for the lettering? My email is allison.garfield@yahoo.com Thanks for sharing! Love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please email me the PDF for my cricut? Allison.garfield@yahoo.com Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this. In fact this is my grandparents Christmas gift. However, I painted it all by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute. How large did you cut your font for both the Grandkids and make life more grand?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not crafty and am wondering what "heavy dry brushing" is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie. Hope this picture helps. This is an example of dry brush techniques. left is heavy and right is light.

      http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2011/188440-TempDryBrush.jpg

      Delete
    2. what did you use for the white letters below

      Delete
  11. How did you get the letters to stick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters are done in vinyl. You can use transfer tape to apply them.

      Delete
  12. How did you get your bow so pretty? Mine looks awful, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It actually took me a bit. But the trick is to flip the sign backwards and tie it. Works for me. :) mine use to be upside down.

      Delete
  13. How did you get your bow so pretty? Mine looks awful, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found your tutorial on Pinterest and have linked it up in my latest post http://simplifycreateinspire.com/2014/11/diy-5-handmade-christmas-gift-ideas/

    I've also made my own slightly altered version for mum for Christmas so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a senior citizen on limited income and could never afford one of those letter making machines and don't know anyone with one. There are so many projects that use them and no alternative method if you don't have one other than painting which I am not good at either. It would make a lovely gift for my sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey anonymous, I found my cricut on ebay for under $50. But if u can't do that then look up printer paper on wood. There are lots of ways to diy something like this. Need any help feel free to contact me tanya.morris3.3@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. You can also ordering the vinyl sayings on Etsy. It's pretty affordable.

      Delete
  16. My mom would love this! I am not crafty but your instructions are great. Can I ask what size plaque this is?

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you so very much for the detailed instructions. This was exactly what I was looking for! Again thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is there anyway you can let me know what type of font I can use to make it look most like the GRANDKIDS and "make life more grand" if I'm just printing them off my computer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is there any way you know what type of font I can use for the GRANDKIDS and "make life more grand" if I am just printing them off my computer?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there,
    thanks so much for the detailed tutorial. I, myself lack the crafty bone and so I have a couple questions for you. Do you think you can just buy like sticker letters from Michaels and use those to create the saying? Also for the heavy brush technique, do you dip the brush in all three colors at the same time?
    Thanks so much for your help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you just use stickers for the letters, the ones you find at michaels? I don't have a cricut machine either.
    Next, for the heavy brush technique do you just dip the brush in all three colors at the same time? Sorry if these questions may sound ridiculous, I am just not a crafty person at all, but would love this sign to give to my mom and dad for xmas.... I am going to announce that we are having twins by clipping pics of the other grandkids and then putting the sonogram at the end with the two new little ones!!!! Excited, I just hope I can pull the crafty bone out of my body to accomplish this !!!
    THanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. :) I don't see why not. some stickers have a problem with adhering to wood. But I would stick them on when the paint is still curing. That way the stickers will have a better bond. I did one color at a time but never dip your brush in water!!! You want the brush to be dry. Putting it in water will dilute the paint making it glide on. I posted a link of the examples of dry brushing in a comment I believe. :) Happy holidays and congratulations!

      Delete
  22. This is awesome. What size lettering do you recommend? Getting ready to cut from silhouette

    ReplyDelete
  23. I apologize if a million of my comments are showing up. I cannot tell if its publishing the comment.
    What size letter do you recommend cutting or buying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! :) It really depends on your board size. The grandkids vinyl I use is 19.5 inches by 2.6 inches. And you can adjust the saying below that according to the font you select. :)

      Delete
  24. I don't own a cricut machine so I am having someone make it for me. I have the same size plaque. What size lettering did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is this a 24x6 plaque?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, The one in the photo is the michael's brand sign. I believe it is 23"x5.75" The one I sell in the shop that we hand cut ourselves is 24"x6". :)

      Delete
  27. Thank you for sharing your step by step instructions. This is a lovely addition to any home.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi I was just wondering if you could email me the PDF for the saying?? My email is amatcyk503@hotmail.com

    Also just wondering if you had to do the word 'Grandkids" and the saying in 2 pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this sign! How tall are the words on the bottom? ("make life grand")

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can you share with me what font is used for the GRANDKIDS and "make life..." Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am making a sign for my niece to hang her bows and I want to put her name on it. I love the K in the GRANKIDS font. Would you mind sharing the name of the font?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly. The K was a font used from Cricut fonts. You can find a similar one called Bookman Swash. However, this font is not free and costs $49. If you have a cricut and you have Paper Lace 2. That font is the ORIGINAL in this tutorial. I use the Bookman Swash now because I sell my signs in my shop. I bet it will be super cute! I'm obsessed with headbands from Cozette Couture for my girls. :)

      Delete
  32. Hi,
    I am in the process of making my own version of this after I stumbled across your idea on pintrest and fell in love with it. I bought my boards from Michael's, sanded them, treated them and stained them. I then cut my vinyl using my Cricut and Cricut vinyl and transfer tape. My vinyl will not stick to the wood. I've tried everything from pushing harder, to heating the vinyl with no luck.

    Are you using a different brand of vinyl? Have you ever done this using stained wood? I'm so upset this is not working out like planned. Please help if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so sorry. I'm just reading your comment. I used Cricut vinyl in this tutorial. For the signs in my shop, we use Outdoor vinyl. It is permanent. It is Oracal 651. I Believe Cricut is 631. However, You can still use Cricut. The trick with a stained board is you have to seal the stain in. I use a Matte Finish. It is a Spray can by Krylon. Just spray it over your boards and let it dry for about an hour and then vinyl it. :) Works every time. You have to seal on the Michaels boards because they are pine wood and the stain takes a few weeks to fully cure to the board. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Let me also know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. Will the Cricut vinyl Oracal 631 work just as well?

      Delete
    3. Yes. As long as you seal the board after you paint it and before you put the vinyl on. :)

      Delete
    4. After a few tries, I finally got the vinyl to stick. After applying a second coat of poly, I sanded, polyed a 3rd time and it finally stuck. I just saw your reply to my comment lol. It was a hit at Christmas time. Thank you so much for your reply. I will be using the Matte Finish if I decide to make this again.

      Delete
  33. Im not sure if my last post posted. I plan on buying my board from Micheals, but I do not have a Circut. Do you have another option for someone who isn't so crafty and creative for what to use? I love this Idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. May I ask could I poly over the vinyl or what other substance might you suggest to give it a finished look and to protect the letters from peeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a Matte Finish. It is a Spray can by Krylon. Just spray it over your boards and let it dry for about an hour and then vinyl it. :) Your vinyl should never peel! The sign I made this tutorial for is still like new. :) putting any moisture over the vinyl wil cause it to peel. You have to treat them as if they are a sticker, but they do not peel unless picked at.

      Delete
  35. Hi, I am currently using your tutorial to make a sign for my mother in law, the only problem I've come across is the eyelet screws. The only ones I can find are the round ones that aren't too nice, where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this tutorial I used some that came in a wall hanging set. I currently use the round ones for my signs we make and sell in the shop. :) the kit was an OOK brand.

      Delete
  36. Hi There! Chelsea here from The Johnsons Plus Dog. Just wanted to pop you a quick note and let you know that this DIY was featured today on my blog for my DIY Handmade Christmas Gift Guide! I'd love for you to come take a look. Have a great day!!

    http://www.thejohnsonsplusdog.com/2016/11/08/diy-handmade-christmas-gift-guide-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  37. What is the fonts you used?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Do you make and sell these? If so, how long does it take to get it? I would need it in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete

 
09 10